Saturday, October 29, 2011

Double Breasted Sweater Vest






Today, I was in a shop that sells new clothes made of old clothes.  In the past, when I have been in this shop, I gravitated towards colour -- I wanted to see reds, greens, blues, yellows -- and I thought it strange that one would want the clothes in brown, black or grey.  How safe.  So what should I do today but the opposite of what I used to do in the past.  I turned away from colour and sought out brown items.  I had become that which I once thought strange.  Perhaps because of this, throughout my time in the shop, trying on all sorts of brown items, I kept wanting to say that I wasn't afraid of colour, as my outfit showed.  Would a person who was afraid of colour wear red and yellow?  It was just that, for some reason, for me this Fall was becoming all about brown and grey.  An explanation more for me, I think, than for any one else.

I am wearing an old Gap gingham shirt with an old Gap tie, shorts from H&M, a vintage wool sweater vest, an open wool cardigan from JCrew Factory, a cropped coat from Anthropologie, fingerless mitts from H&M and an old wool beret.  My winklepicker chukkas are Fluevogs.  I am carrying a bag from American Apparel.

No comments: