Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Transit Pass: A Monthly Colour Challenge


I wouldn't call the colour scheme that I was wearing yesterday a plum/purple colour scheme.  I would call it a burgundy/wine colour scheme.  But reflecting on it, I can appreciate how it might be seen as a plum/purple colour scheme.  The predominant colour in today's outfit (leaving aside grey, which I don't see as a colour -- to me it is a neutral) is purple.  It's strange to me how now that I no longer (voluntarily) have to wear plum/purple outfits, I can't seem to stop wearing plum/purple outfits.  It will have to stop soon though, or at least on four or five days in April.  It is now time to reveal what the plum/purple outfit challenge/test/experiment was all about.

In March, after I mentioned, twice in two weeks, that the colour scheme of my outfit matched the colour scheme on my monthly transit pass, I got to thinking about how interesting it might be to challenge myself to follow a fixed colour scheme at least once a week (no rules against following the colour scheme more often), with the colour scheme changing every month.  I then thought how much more interesting it might be if the colour scheme that I had to work with was selected by someone completely independent of me.  This, of course, led to me to ask, "Why not let the monthly transit pass dictate the monthly colour scheme?"  How much more independent of me could I get than the transit authority (or, more accurately, the unknown individual who picks the colour scheme for the monthly transit pass)?  The plum/purple outfit challenge was a test to see if I could do it.  There was a little bit of discomfort with having to wear a particular colour scheme, but, on the whole, it was fun.  So, the test being a success, the monthly colour challenge is on.  The colour for April is ...  blue!  Look for a blue outfit at least once a week in April.


coat: H&M, old
dress: Gap
sweater: Zara, last season
leggings: American Apparel, old
belt: Old Navy, old
socks: ?
boots: Frye (from Get Outside)

No comments: